Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kids are so smart / dumb these days. Who would have thought it?

2 posters

Go down

Kids are so smart / dumb these days. Who would have thought it? Empty Kids are so smart / dumb these days. Who would have thought it?

Post  bitofatwat Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:29 pm

Bath salts, the new drug choice for teens Shocked

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Poison control centers across the country sent out an alert recently as calls about kids high on a toxic substance marketed as bath salts are keeping emergency workers busy.

Officials said the problem has reached the metro area.

In November, KCTV5 bought Ivory Wave bath salts at a local gas station. It was one of 12 brands that recently brought a warning from poison control centers.

Friends of Jarrod Moodey of Cameron, Mo., blamed his death on addiction to bath salts. Police who investigated the case said bath salts are hard to battle because they are legal.

"The only thing that is keeping this legal now is the fact that a law has not been passed naming these specific chemicals as controlled chemicals," said John Connors of the St. Joseph Police Department.

A witness said a University of Kansas senior was fatally struck by a car earlier this week outside of Salina. Police officers are waiting for a toxicology report, but they said a container filled with bath salts was found on the student.

Toxicologists said the effects of bath salts -- used inappropriately despite their warning labels -- when smoked or taken orally is the same as cocaine or meth.

"It's dangerous stuff," said Callie Graham, who works at the Kansas City Community Center helping people with addictions. "It's sad. A certain amount of people have to die before we can catch up with the laws."

Graham said she has concerns that bath salt abuse could grow, and parents need to start the dialogue with their kids about the dangers.

The poison control centers have had no calls from Kansas, but they report 10 in Missouri. Nationwide the number is much higher, which they said is the reason why they put out the warning.

http://www.kctv5.com/news/26261100/detail.html
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Kids are so smart / dumb these days. Who would have thought it? Empty Re: Kids are so smart / dumb these days. Who would have thought it?

Post  morning_glory Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:42 am

who suddenly decides, 'lets try bath salts' Rolling Eyes
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Kids are so smart / dumb these days. Who would have thought it? Empty Re: Kids are so smart / dumb these days. Who would have thought it?

Post  Guest Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:03 am

morning_glory wrote:who suddenly decides, 'lets try bath salts' Rolling Eyes

MG, in terms of my usual response, that's not even a challenge.

On the other side of the coin, though, some smart arse has clearly looked at what is in them and gone "hang on, not for ingesting but if you did..."

It's like hexavalent chromium. We all saw it in Erin Brockovich but outside of the trade, few will pay heed of the fact that practically every tile adhesive or grout worth its price will have a chromium (VI) content. Epsom salts were ingested for decades but it's only now people are realising that topically it can make a difference in a few things - bit of a difference between rubbing it in and swallowing it (Jesus, even when I'm being serious I can find an innuendo)(in your endo). Drugs that were developed as say, antidepressants are now used at lower doses for pain management (thinking of people I knoiw who've been given amitryptylene for one). Someone will have twigged that the fourteenth ingredient in "Mint Reviver" is a mescaline derivative or something and that's that.

Back to top Go down

Post  morning_glory Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:57 pm

yeaH i suppose, science was never my strong point.
but how was iron discovered as a metal Neutral
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:39 pm

morning_glory wrote:yeaH i suppose, science was never my strong point.
but how was iron discovered as a metal Neutral

"It's a brave man who first ate oysters". It's accumulated knowledge in the end, MG. The things that worked became science. The rest, as Dara O'Briain says, became religion and homeopathy

Back to top Go down

Post  morning_glory Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:20 pm

I can sort of understand plants becoming medicinal, but iron is in rocks so who thought of extracting it and how. scratch
I mean the wheel.ancient man seeing a log rolling down a hill....
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down