Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gypsies.

2 posters

Go down

Gypsies. Empty Gypsies.

Post  morning_glory Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:42 pm

Just watching a programme now.Its a very strange culture on several levels

the girls leave school about 11yrs to help with their younger siblings and the houseworks.
they walk about half undressed.
they dont drink or have sex before their marriage or indeed meet a boy on their own.
they tend to get married at 16-18
and accept that their place is in the home Shocked

Rolling Eyes
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Gypsies. Empty Re: Gypsies.

Post  Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:48 pm

Sounds fine to me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:53 pm

but like any culture or religion there are various degrees of adherence to the 'rules' or the culture, but then again not all gypsies are pikeys - pikeys follow no rules or culture at all and should all be shot - twice at least

Back to top Go down

Post  morning_glory Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:29 pm

Hmm. If a woman wants to 'obey' her husband thats her choice.But these girls have been brainwashed since they were toddlers and accept it.Stopping their education at 11 reinforces it. How are they allowed to this under British law?
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:32 pm

Society ran a lot smoother when women were permanantly barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen doing their men and kids meals.

Back to top Go down

Post  morning_glory Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:46 pm

Mad Tony wrote:Society ran a lot smoother when women were permanantly barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen doing their men and kids meals.

Evil or Very Mad
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:57 pm

This amazed me.....

50% of Travellers die before 39 - study

Some 50 per cent of Travellers die before their 39th birthday and some 70 per cent fail to live past the age of 59.

The startling findings contained in a new book on Traveller mortality suggest that life expectancy in the Traveller community is equivalent to that of settled people in Ireland in the 1940s.

Interesting programme though , they are like the retarded disciples of Katie Price.

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:08 pm

Kit wrote:This amazed me.....

Some 50 per cent of Travellers die before their 39th birthday and some 70 per cent fail to live past the age of 59.

The startling findings contained in a new book on Traveller mortality suggest that life expectancy in the Traveller community is equivalent to that of settled people in Ireland in the 1940s.

Interesting programme though , they are like the retarded disciples of Katie Price.

They have never left that era, they are stuck in a timewarp Shocked
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  morning_glory Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:18 pm

they have the looks of KP but the morals of Ann Widdecomb.why is their life expectancy so low?
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:20 pm

morning_glory wrote:

they have the looks of KP but the morals of Ann Widdecomb.why is their life expectancy so low?

limited gene pool related health defects , poor accommodation , poor health care and access to social services and a very high % of motor vehicle related deaths as I recall.

Back to top Go down

Post  morning_glory Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:24 pm

I can understand that about the gene pool.marrying out of their culture isnt allowed.
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:07 am

bitofatwat wrote:

They have never left that era, they are stuck in a timewarp Shocked

I think the mortality rate is distorted by the deaths of a fair proportion of children under 2yo. Do the Gypsies in England do the big grave headstones like they do over here?
I spoke to a man than makes them in my local graveyard recently.
60k for the headstone and 14k for additions.

Back to top Go down

Post  morning_glory Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:46 am

I dont know about gravestones, but they do big funerala, so maybe they do.
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:51 am

I was at the East London funeral of the boxer Bradley Stone in 1994
He was pure Romany stock.
It was an amazing experience.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:59 am

morning_glory wrote:Hmm. If a woman wants to 'obey' her husband thats her choice.But these girls have been brainwashed since they were toddlers and accept it.Stopping their education at 11 reinforces it. How are they allowed to this under British law?

If they're true gypsies, they may be stateless. You can't force elements of British law on someone itinerant in the same way you can't force the same elements on Kalahari bushmen

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:16 am

As an aside, my uncle, a licensee in the sixties, was approached to host a gypsies' wedding. He said "fine", took it on and was given a simple remit - "let us have the pub, have whatever staff you need but you won't need many, just enough to keep the booze running. You'll have no trouble, here's a down payment, let us know when it runs out".

He turned the pub over to them for the weekend, did the serving himself and roped in my old man for cellar/bar duties. One bloke did the "negotiating" and he all but sat at the bar for two days and drank solidly throughout, keeping my uncle/old man company, as it were.
Made a fair few quid out of it (reckon he was chosen because he had a reputation for fairness as the pub was in an odd place for an event like this), not an angry word or a bit of trouble and the original outlay for booze and such once exceeded was topped up on more than one occasion.

The only thing that would have been out of the ordinary was that the pub for all intents and purposes was closed for the couple of days they went on. They left as quietly as they came. It's a culture that exists outside our framework and they keep themselves to themselves. You can't really legislate for or against that, they are in effect their own nation without a nation and have a strong culture of self and self management.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:49 am

I have read a few accounts of people doing photography at gypsy weddings , and its a mixed bag , but the general impression is its like herding cats trying to get them to do anything and generally a bit of a pain in the arse.

One of the issues they have is they communicate in a very different way , I was listening to one order a Chinese meal in the local take-a-way not long ago, and even with something as simple as that, his tone seemed very aggressive / antagonistic . Almost like people do when they are working up to having a fight. As if verbal attack is the first form of defence with everything they do.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:05 am

and whilst on the subject.................. Very Happy

another thing about them is they way they just explain away everything negative with the phrase " dems just traveller/gypsy ways'

like in the programme , there was a part when it was explained (and shown) how a young gypsy boy will attempt to assault a female child. They had a name for it 'grabbing' basically its sexual assault . The girls just accepted it as 'dems just gypsy ways'

I do think you can only go so far with acceptance of different cultural issues , and when it comes to breaking the law/paying tax/having car insurance etc etc etc then its just criminality and should be dealt with.

Its like any nationality or set of individuals that wish to behave in such an unenlightened un-libertarian fashion (like some Muslims) , its a big old world , go some place else and be backwards.

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:46 am

There is a large mobile phone mast near our bowling green, all the big players use it ie VOD ORANGE O2 etc and its forever getting about 40ft of thick copper cable cut, by gypsies who sell the wire on for scrap. I'm quite friendly with one of the engineers who because of the frequency of the theft and damage i see at least once a fortnight, and he says its costing 40k every time he comes out to replace the cable. I wouldnt be exaggerating if i said it gets cut at least 20 times a year. He says it happens to lots of mobile masts all over the place and most is the work of travellers but says the cost of the damage is just passed on and keeps him in a job, police dont get involved as the scrap dealers all close rank and its a waste of their time.

Neutral
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:53 am

would be cheaper to hire security

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:06 am

Kit wrote:would be cheaper to hire security

They do Kit, theyve also use barbed wire and recently encased the cable in an alumininium cover, a week later the rivets were removed thrown all over the bowling green knicked the copper wire and aluminium as well Laughing
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum