Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tonights dinner thread!

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

tonights dinner thread! - Page 2 Empty Re: tonights dinner thread!

Post  morning_glory Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:32 pm

I thought it was a Dutch dish then.
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:34 pm

dutch dish?

all i can think of is drug cakes or tulips, not exactly gastronomes are they

Back to top Go down

Post  morning_glory Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Abdul Kowalski wrote:dutch dish?

im sure the dutch have their own cuisine, though a suspected sate was not dutch.
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:48 pm

Protestant Countries seem to always have meat and two veg style food, probably (historically) too busy getting to grips with their work ethics than to laze around all day inventing Tapas or 5000 different shapes of pasta

Back to top Go down

Post  morning_glory Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Kit wrote:Protestant Countries seem to always have meat and two veg style food, probably (historically) too busy getting to grips with their work ethics than to laze around all day inventing Tapas or 5000 different shapes of pasta

probably why britain isnt known for its cuisine.after all, peasants started leaving the land to work in the city and factories long before their european counterparts.
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Post  she Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:54 pm

morning_glory wrote:I thought it was a Dutch dish then.
cantonese i think...dunno really Neutral
she
she

Back to top Go down

Post  morning_glory Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:56 pm

Neutral
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:05 pm

morning_glory wrote:
Kit wrote:Protestant Countries seem to always have meat and two veg style food, probably (historically) too busy getting to grips with their work ethics than to laze around all day inventing Tapas or 5000 different shapes of pasta

probably why britain isnt known for its cuisine.after all, peasants started leaving the land to work in the city and factories long before their european counterparts.

I listened to an interesting Melvin Bragg podcast about that very issue just recently.

Back to top Go down

Post  morning_glory Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:09 pm

its always french peasants, russian peasants etc we are not know for our peasants.
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:11 pm

Most of them could not wait to leave their landlord hell hand to mouth peasant life romantic rural ideal , and get to the cities for a bit of fun and excitement. Full of disease and poverty, but at least you could meet people, get pissed once a week and have a bit of freedom.

Back to top Go down

Post  she Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:14 pm

Laughing
she
she

Back to top Go down

Post  morning_glory Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:36 pm

Kit wrote:Most of them could not wait to leave their landlord hell hand to mouth peasant life romantic rural ideal , and get to the cities for a bit of fun and excitement. Full of disease and poverty, but at least you could meet people, get pissed once a week and have a bit of freedom.

heard that the streets were paved with gold.even those who didnt stray far had a bad time of it working in the factories.I think it was Robert Owen who criticised how the industrialists treated the workers because it was having an impact on 'the family' children were being neglected because their parents were too tired to care adequately for them .
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:42 pm

morning_glory wrote:
Kit wrote:Most of them could not wait to leave their landlord hell hand to mouth peasant life romantic rural ideal , and get to the cities for a bit of fun and excitement. Full of disease and poverty, but at least you could meet people, get pissed once a week and have a bit of freedom.

heard that the streets were paved with gold.even those who didnt stray far had a bad time of it working in the factories.I think it was Robert Owen who criticised how the industrialists treated the workers because it was having an impact on 'the family' children were being neglected because their parents were too tired to care adequately for them .

Well Bragg's POV was , indeed that it was shit, but for most of them, it was a toss up between , fucking shit , and differently fucking shit.

Living on land rurally was pretty much indentured slavery , with long periods of near famine , and no freedom, because if they farted their land lord knew about it.

At least in the City , outside of work they had a more exciting form of shit existence.

Back to top Go down

Post  morning_glory Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:05 pm

on the other hand there was the old adage 'better the devil you know'. you had community and with it some support.the city didnt offer that,it was the survival of the fittest.
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:17 pm

morning_glory wrote:on the other hand there was the old adage 'better the devil you know'. you had community and with it some support.the city didnt offer that,it was the survival of the fittest.

Thats where 'friendship societies' came from MG

Back to top Go down

Post  NotBert Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:26 pm

Chips and mayo. Shared with the Belgians.

Except the Belgians just get smashed on overstrength beer, whereas the Dutch do it slightly slower while eating kickass cheese.
NotBert
NotBert

Back to top Go down

Post  she Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:28 pm

NotBert wrote:

Chips and mayo. Shared with the Belgians.

Except the Belgians just get smashed on overstrength beer, whereas the Dutch do it slightly slower while eating kickass cheese.
that may be true...but not for the likes of me Smile
she
she

Back to top Go down

Post  NotBert Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:29 pm

I don't think Martin Luther, while looking for a hammer and nails, said "shit, must remember, all your food must be bland pap" as well, Kit.

I'd put it more down to the fact that we all live a bit far too north to grow tomatoes and so forth, so we're stuck with cabbage and parsnips, big animals on grass and cereals.

Put that on Ready Steady Cook and you get a casserole at best
NotBert
NotBert

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2