Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chris Sievey - RIP

2 posters

Go down

Chris Sievey - RIP Empty Chris Sievey - RIP

Post  Guest Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:23 pm

The man behind comedian, musician and North West showbiz legend Frank Sidebottom has died.

It is understood entertainer Chris Sievey collapsed at his home in Hale, Cheshire, in the early hours.

The 54-year-old was pronounced dead at Wythenshawe Hospital in Greater Manchester, a spokeswoman confirmed.

Known for his over-sized, papier-mache head, he found fame through a series of TV appearances in the 1980s and remained a popular cult comedy figure.

He had been recovering from treatment to a tumour on his chest, his agent Nigel Round said.

Chris Sievey - RIP Frank_sidebottom2_470_470x300

Back to top Go down

Chris Sievey - RIP Empty Re: Chris Sievey - RIP

Post  morning_glory Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:24 pm

hes not very old at all.
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Been ill for a while, MG.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:06 am

Very sad.

A great comic songwriter, and very funny person, and I'm pretty sure he loathed the FS persona but it paid his bills.

Here's something from YouTube. One of my favourite Freshies songs.

Funny how it all turns out, isn't it?

Oh, and my other favourite Freshies tune... in what can only be described as ye olde world lo-fi.

Raise a glass to Wispering Campaigners everywhere.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:22 am

I never knew until yesterday that Jon Ronson was in his band....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:48 am

never heard of him. confused

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:19 am

Frank Sidebottom comic faces pauper's funeral

The comic who created Frank Sidebottom is facing a pauper's funeral after dying virtually penniless.

Chris Sievey, whose alter-ego Frank's over-sized papier-mached head became a comedy icon, had no assets and little money in the bank, his family have revealed.

There are now calls to give the comic a dignified send-off. As we reported, Chris, 54, died after a battle with cancer. He was found collapsed at his home in Hawthorn Road, Hale, early on Monday and died later in Wythenshawe Hospital.

Chris leaves sons Stirling, 31, and Harry, 18, and daughter Asher, 30. Stirling said the family have been in discussion with hospital bereavement officers and a funeral director.

He said: “My father has not left any money behind and we are struggling to try and sort his funeral out. He spent money as it came in and was always a man for the moment. He never planned ahead. We have spoken to a funeral director and the sort of figures that they are talking about are too high.

“We would not know how to go about getting that sort of money at the moment. They said that applying for a pauper's funeral would be an option.

“He would not want us worrying about trying to sort it all out. We would not want our dad to have a pauper's funeral but we would not want something over the top for him too. Just something simple and dignified.”

Radio 2 DJ Mark Radcliffe, who played alongside Chris in the Frank Sidebottom Oh Blimey Big Band in the 1980s, said a pauper's funeral would be a tragedy. He said: “Something needs to be organised to give Chris the send-off that he deserves. It would be tragic for a man who brought so much enjoyment and laughter to the region to have a pauper's funeral.”

Chris was diagnosed with cancer last month and had operations to remove a tumour in his chest. He was due to start a course of chemotherapy today.

Stirling said his father remained determined to beat the illness. The results of a post mortem examination are due tomorrow. Stirling said: “We did not think he was that ill. Every time he spoke to one of us he said that it was nothing to worry about. ”

How very sad Crying or Very sad
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:54 pm

Over £6,000 raised via twitter & facebook though!

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:39 pm

chips wrote:Over £6,000 raised via twitter & facebook though!

Nice to see such generosity by his fans chips cheers cheers
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:34 pm

He was a bit mad but a lovely fella. And deeply mischevious.

My favourite story about him was his efforts to get taken on by a record company (he did actually have some sort of deal with the Beatles' Apple Corps at one stage). He sent out so many demo tapes he actually published a book of rejection slips. Then he published a second one - of rejection slips from Virgin Records alone.

At another record label, he got hold of some headed notepaper and sent out a message to the two different directors saying that the other one was plotting against them and if they wanted to know more, they should meet up at a pre-arrnaged time. Both duly turned up, on which occasion he instead played them his new demo. No recording contract ensued.

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:54 pm

snake plissken wrote:He was a bit mad but a lovely fella. And deeply mischevious.

My favourite story about him was his efforts to get taken on by a record company (he did actually have some sort of deal with the Beatles' Apple Corps at one stage). He sent out so many demo tapes he actually published a book of rejection slips. Then he published a second one - of rejection slips from Virgin Records alone.

At another record label, he got hold of some headed notepaper and sent out a message to the two different directors saying that the other one was plotting against them and if they wanted to know more, they should meet up at a pre-arrnaged time. Both duly turned up, on which occasion he instead played them his new demo. No recording contract ensued.

Fantastic insight Snake, Always like to hear stuff like that from people inside the industry like yourself cheers cheers
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:00 pm

Didn't know him well BOAT, but did see him last September when he did a turn at a conference I attended. I also had some brief chats through MySpace. Way back in the day, his was one of only two fan clubs I ever joined ('The Wispering (sic) Campaign). There were 62 members at one point. I wrote to him and explained that I'd bought 'Virgin Megastore' from one of those cheapo jukebox discounters (ie punctured whole in the middle). And it didn't have a proper sleeve and might he send me one?

He did, too.

The thing about the pauper's grave - he once wrote a really great little song with the Freshies called 'No Money'. It was all about the independent record industry, and it had a brilliant chorus.

"There's no money, there's no money". Repeat till fade.

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:31 pm

Cheers Snake, knowing that little bit more about him seems to make it even more sad as he seemed a very genuine person in love with what he was doing. Very sad loss indeed and at no age really. Sad
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down