Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would this song be played on radio nowadays?

Go down

Would this song be played on radio nowadays? Empty Would this song be played on radio nowadays?

Post  bitofatwat Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:17 am

bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Would this song be played on radio nowadays? Empty Re: Would this song be played on radio nowadays?

Post  Guest Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:21 am

Doubtful!
I am so happy I was born in time to see this man at his peak.
He was the greatest fighter pound for pound that ever lived imo.

Back to top Go down

Would this song be played on radio nowadays? Empty Re: Would this song be played on radio nowadays?

Post  Guest Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:21 am

Don't see why not, BOAT.

One of my favourite Ali stories wansn't anything to do with the verbals, but at the weigh-in to the Liston fight (the fight, not the lie down)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:22 am

Nobby Cheese wrote:Doubtful!

Poundd for pound, Tone? I'd say unlikely. He had Sugar Ray Robinson in his corner at one time and he was massively deferential to him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:27 am

THE FIGHT
By Norman Mailer

Still the greatest sports book I've ever read.

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:28 am

Bert wrote:Don't see why not, BOAT.

One of my favourite Ali stories wansn't anything to do with the verbals, but at the weigh-in to the Liston fight (the fight, not the lie down)

Just thought about the black superman/ supremacy bits ...he's also my favourite sportsman of all time, he had some real character, and the parky interviews were very funny too Very Happy
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:31 am

SRR all time p4p fighter on anybody's list.

Ali was unecessarily cruel in his attacks on Frazier. Joe gave him the Manilla fight as a favour after he got out of prison and most wouldn't touch him. Ali crossed the line with his taunts. Some choose to call it 'showmanship', but it was bang out of order. Frazier has never forgiven him to this day.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:34 am

Might be a bit dated simply because of the advance of the US civil rights movement but I could only imagine the Klan complaining. I think I'm comfortable with that.

The Liston weigh in involves them both going to the scales. Liston would put towels over his shoulders under his gown to look bigger, would come in, silent, eyes lowered, then look up lazily and down into his opponents face, stony.

Did this to Ali, a mouthy light-heavyweight, rolls up, raises his eyes, goes to look down at him...

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:34 am

In todays obese society he'd hardly make a heavyweight, that division is now mostly a freak show with very few punches thrown. Mad
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:37 am

bitofatwat wrote:

In todays obese society he'd hardly make a heavyweight, that division is now mostly a freak show with very few punches thrown. Mad

Spot on.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:38 am

sooterkin wrote:SRR all time p4p fighter on anybody's list.

Ali was unecessarily cruel in his attacks on Frazier. Joe gave him the Manilla fight as a favour after he got out of prison and most wouldn't touch him. Ali crossed the line with his taunts. Some choose to call it 'showmanship', but it was bang out of order. Frazier has never forgiven him to this day.

They're a bit better now, S, but yes, the Gorilla thing was beyond the pale and the enunciation thing was not on either. Manila finished both of them, too. Ali should have stopped then and there - his kidneys took an awful lot and filtration cells were coming out in his urine. Pretty certain he was refused licence to box in some states after that.

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:40 am

Isnt Hollyfield coming out of retirement again because he's skint, mind you he's got plenty of baggage Laughing

A true warrior in his prime though
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:41 am

“It will be a killa... and a chilla... and a thrilla... when I get the gorilla in Manila."
Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:50 am

Bert wrote:
sooterkin wrote:SRR all time p4p fighter on anybody's list.

They're a bit better now, S, but yes, the Gorilla thing was beyond the pale and the enunciation thing was not on either. Manila finished both of them, too. Ali should have stopped then and there - his kidneys took an awful lot and filtration cells were coming out in his urine. Pretty certain he was refused licence to box in some states after that.

ESPN did an excellent documentary in their 30 for 30 series. It's called Muhammed and Larry and it shows Ali trying to get into shape for his fight with Larry Holmes.

Most of the damage from the Frazier fight is evident, as are signs of his future medical complications.

Sad, but it's worth a download, if you're interested.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:53 am

May look it up. Not ideal subject matter but on reading Ferdie Pacheco's book, I'm already in there.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down