Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone going to Cheltenham this year?

Go down

Anyone going to Cheltenham this year? Empty Anyone going to Cheltenham this year?

Post  Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:52 pm

Gonna book the tuesday off and not sure whether to go or just plot up in a boozer and watch it.
Aint been for years and must admit i quite fancy it.

Back to top Go down

Anyone going to Cheltenham this year? Empty Re: Anyone going to Cheltenham this year?

Post  Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:53 pm

Had an offer and possibly might make a day

Back to top Go down

Anyone going to Cheltenham this year? Empty Re: Anyone going to Cheltenham this year?

Post  Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:56 pm

Have you ever done the whole 3 (or 4 now) days Bert?
Ive only ever done one day at a time and that was enough for me.
3 of us fancy going but then it means 2 days off work and probably an overnight stay.
I go back on call on the friday of that week and dont want to leave the kids tbh.
That's why the pub is looking the better option.

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:12 pm

Not for me nowadays Staggy, rather have a bet and watch them on the box, when i do go to the races all i do is perm placepot and mingle in the bar Laughing
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:17 pm

I'd have to stay over if I were doing that, Staggy, and I don't have an interest in being there longer than is necessary in Festival week Very Happy

Have done both days at Longchamp Arc weekend before and all three days at Chester in May and done them both more than once. Very much a one-dayer otherwise, though (International Day at York, Champions Day at Newmarket, Plate Day and Fighting Fifth Day at Newcastle, the Thursday at Aintree because the other two are fucking bedlam, Sprint Cup Day at Haydock and Champion Hurdle Day at Cheltenham off the top of my head)

If anyone offered me a trip for life, Longchamp nudges out Chester and the rest I'd have equal third. Yet to find a racecourse I wouldn't revisit.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:18 pm

Eider day at Newcastle is always fair as well, and the once the Racing Post Trophy was there, I went.

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:26 pm

The Friday night Ponte meetings are legendary in these parts, with a night out in Ponte

York Dante if the weather is nice takes some beating. Leger day and a night out in Donny also a worthy mention Very Happy
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:08 pm

Staggy wrote:Gonna book the tuesday off and not sure whether to go or just plot up in a boozer and watch it.
Aint been for years and must admit i quite fancy it.

Have booked the four days off and will be watching it in the boozer with guinness, cider, whisky, roast spuds and sausages, tipping comp will be ongoing too.

You could offer to drive me there and back staggy and provide me with a ripper and a grand spending but if it meant spending the day being sardined with 75,000 pissed up paddies and pikeys, queuing up for everything from a piss to a pint to a punt, I'd turn you down everytime.

It's a pub thing for comfort imo, that ain't atmosphere, that's for tarts to say "I was there" - and what did you see? Somebody's fucking back.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:43 pm

The last time i went was when Best Mate was going for his 3rd, nothing would of kept me away from the place that day, not even 75 thousand pissed up paddys.

Went every day from 2003 when Jodami won the gold cup through to best mates 3rd, kids arriving put paid to my annual jaunt.

Stayed in cirencester everytime at the mrs Grans house, 20 odd mins from the course, so all i had to pay for was getting in and bets.

Fried brekkie every morning waiting for me when i came down, and a pack up with flasks of soup Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 pm

Evening Spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:09 pm

owzat wrote:The last time i went was when Best Mate was going for his 3rd, nothing would of kept me away from the place that day, not even 75 thousand pissed up paddys.

Went every day from 2003 when Jodami won the gold cup through to best mates 3rd, kids arriving put paid to my annual jaunt.

Stayed in cirencester everytime at the mrs Grans house, 20 odd mins from the course, so all i had to pay for was getting in and bets.

Fried brekkie every morning waiting for me when i came down, and a pack up with flasks of soup Very Happy

I maintain it is the one sport I would go to view solely for the sake of viewing. Although NH racing is a bit shit.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:16 am

The last time I was at Cheltenham, a friend and I decided to drive to Dublin, take the ferry to Hollyhead, detained at the port for 6 hours, stayed in Ross on Wye (Shithole), drove to Stratford (Great Stuff), arrested and locked up for 15 hours,then stayed 2 nights in Stratford. Didn't see a horse the entire time.
Fucking great times. I had the best steak sandwich ever in the Falcon hotel if I remember correctly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:17 am

Haven't been for years. Too busy.
Staggy, I think I told you last year that I'll get my pals to give you a point over the advertised price if you mention my name.
The two pitches are located at 'Rails 12' and 'Tatts 9'.
Let me know if you want that sorting.

pp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:38 am

Bert wrote:I'd have to stay over if I were doing that, Staggy, and I don't have an interest in being there longer than is necessary in Festival week Very Happy

Have done both days at Longchamp Arc weekend before and all three days at Chester in May and done them both more than once. Very much a one-dayer otherwise, though (International Day at York, Champions Day at Newmarket, Plate Day and Fighting Fifth Day at Newcastle, the Thursday at Aintree because the other two are fucking bedlam, Sprint Cup Day at Haydock and Champion Hurdle Day at Cheltenham off the top of my head)

If anyone offered me a trip for life, Longchamp nudges out Chester and the rest I'd have equal third. Yet to find a racecourse I wouldn't revisit.

Never been to Longchamp Bert. Once got an invite off 'City Index' (remember them?) but couldn't make it due to work.
The Chester 'May Meeting' used to be my favourite when I lived in England.
I remember having a very strong bet on 'Armiger' (K.Abdullah, H.Cecil, P.Eddery) in the 'Chester Vase'.
Also had the winner in the first on that day (Risky) after having a natter with snooker player J.Parrott MBE who knew the connections.
I know that you are not much of a fan of things out here but 'Sha Tin' in Hong Kong is probably the most spectacular race course in the world and I reckon that you would love it.
Back to Chester...the gatemen stringently enforce the dress code in the 'County Stand' and jackets had to be worn even on the hottest of days. Those 'little Hitlers' are the only negative thing that I can say about the place...otherwise, I fucking love it and have fond memories of the place.

pp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:04 am

bitofatwat wrote:The Friday night Ponte meetings are legendary in these parts, with a night out in Ponte

York Dante if the weather is nice takes some beating. Leger day and a night out in Donny also a worthy mention Very Happy

Ponte is sound Boat.
That uphill finish is very tough when seen in the flesh
Another incline worthy of a mention is Fontwell. It's only about 100 yards but if you stand against the members rail then you can appreciate it. Seen many horses done on the line due to that last 100 yards.

pp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:58 am

Hi Jay hope all is well mate.

Cheers PP but as an arber even i couldnt do that as although i like to fuck the books i like a bit of a level playing field.
Cant imagine they'd be too happy laying me 8 monkeys and as i turn round im laying it at 7s on the machine.

Oh well i think the pub is gonna win for the tuesday.
Will get up early play the pricewise and any other arbs available and sit back and enjoy.

Not really a horse punter so any thoughts for a few small ew bets?

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:53 am

The best bet at the meeting is that the clerk of the course will call the first day going no worse than gd/sft even if its heavy Laughing
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:24 pm

Punting Prowler wrote:
Bert wrote:I'd have to stay over if I were doing that, Staggy, and I don't have an interest in being there longer than is necessary in Festival week Very Happy

Never been to Longchamp Bert. Once got an invite off 'City Index' (remember them?) but couldn't make it due to work.
I remember having a very strong bet on 'Armiger' (K.Abdullah, H.Cecil, P.Eddery) in the 'Chester Vase'.
Also had the winner in the first on that day (Risky) after having a natter with snooker player J.Parrott MBE who knew the connections.
I know that you are not much of a fan of things out here but 'Sha Tin' in Hong Kong is probably the most spectacular race course in the world and I reckon that you would love it.
Back to Chester...the gatemen stringently enforce the dress code in the 'County Stand' and jackets had to be worn even on the hottest of days. Those 'little Hitlers' are the only negative thing that I can say about the place...otherwise, I fucking love it and have fond memories of the place.

pp

Sha Tin looks monumental, but if I were ever to go to Hong Kong it would probably be low on my list to go there as I'd imagine I'd be too occupied elsewhere - I've still not forgiven Chris Patten, not for giving the Empire back but for doing it in a fucking lounge suit.

As for the County Stand dress code, I was there as an owner's guest one Cup day (best hospitality, IMO, is Newmarket for the spread they put on) and found out that David Moyes had been refused entry for not having a tie. Fuck me, I'm a scruff and was in there, there's no excuse.

Longchamp is outstanding if just for the fact that their bog standard over-the-counter catering sandwiches and Kanterbrau (particularly in the 90s) knocked the UK into a cocked hat and entry was pegged for over 10 years at a fiver, three quid on the subcard on the Saturday.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:57 am

Bert: a lot of the old colonial stuff remains. HK is a weird old place and the politics is refered to as 'one country two systems'. A 'mainlander' requires a visa to enter HK. It's akin to a Scot or Welsh having to aquire one to enter England. The territory continues to be a thriving financial hub and the anomolies are endless. Derivatives, shorting and other volatile financial instruments such as writing options are outlawed at the major houses on the mainland in Shenzhen and Shanghai but are legal in HK.
If you are a fan of the old colonial times like myself, then you would love a trip to HK. Places like Aberdeen and Stanley are steeped in tradition and are like the clock has stopped.
Horse racing is first class but the tote monopoly run by the Hong Kong Jockey Club is a ball ache for us Brits but the pools are fucking huge for even the most bog standard of races, let alone the major races like the 'Hong Kong Vase'.
The education system is first class and the property market remains very bouyant. I remember when I first moved to HK and the SARS was on, things were cheap then...the airline 'Cathay Pacific' almost went bankrupt after the WHO put a travel embargo on HK. We had to walk the streets in fucking surgical facemasks (as if they would keep us alive...lol).
If you can find the time then a visit is recommended.

pp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:29 am

Bert wrote:
Punting Prowler wrote:

pp

Sha Tin looks monumental, but if I were ever to go to Hong Kong it would probably be low on my list to go there as I'd imagine I'd be too occupied elsewhere - I've still not forgiven Chris Patten, not for giving the Empire back but for doing it in a fucking lounge suit.

As for the County Stand dress code, I was there as an owner's guest one Cup day (best hospitality, IMO, is Newmarket for the spread they put on) and found out that David Moyes had been refused entry for not having a tie. Fuck me, I'm a scruff and was in there, there's no excuse.

Longchamp is outstanding if just for the fact that their bog standard over-the-counter catering sandwiches and Kanterbrau (particularly in the 90s) knocked the UK into a cocked hat and entry was pegged for over 10 years at a fiver, three quid on the subcard on the Saturday.

I'm embarrassed to say that I have not been to either of the courses at Newmarket. The home of horseracing, HQ, all that bollocks but I've never fucking been. Shameful.
A lad that I know once had a runner in the 'July Cup', its name was 'Rising Shadow. Look it up on Sporting Life or Weatherbys. It did fuck all but did win the 'Coral Sprint' at York for a tidy return.
Anyway, the lad who owns it is a businessman in Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire...windows is his main gig but has many irons in the fire. He was telling me once about the 'July Cup' day at Newmarket and Sheikh Mohammed takes all owners and connections of runners in the race across to 'Darley Stud' for a tour and banquet of gargantuan proportions. That's a handy bit of hospitality. but it doesn't stop there. He also got 5 nights accommodation at the 7 Star 'Burj Al Arab' in Dubai (the gaff where you get your own private butler...lol) at a time of his choice and 50% off business class seats from London to Dubai on 'Emirates Airlines'.
The old sand kickers really know how to give a thumbs up imo.

pp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down