Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ringcraft

Go down

Ringcraft Empty Ringcraft

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:32 am

It's one of those things that piss you off. Where people turn around and say things like "Jim Davidson isn't allowed to tell a joke any more because of some perceived made up PC bollocks, because it's harmless old school stuff".

No it isn't. It's shit. Here's "old school" stuff that quite frankly still stands today because you have people of that tradition still up there delivering and engaging an audience how they should be at no-one's expense save for those who are parodied:

Not so much a fire station, but this could be a call centre before its time

This is brilliant - applying a business scenario to the justice system. George Osborne thinks this a documentary...

Back to top Go down

Ringcraft Empty Re: Ringcraft

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:37 am

Chic Murray. Favourite story about him was (in his matter-of-fact, fairly deadpan style) doing the gag "A woman asked me did I fall over. I said no, I've a bar of chocolate in my back pocket and I'm trying to break it without taking it out."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:41 am

Bobby Thompson, the "Little Waster"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:10 am

Eddie Flanagan. He was brilliant because even though he was up there, it's as if he was in the crowd. He could stand on stage for up to thirty seconds without saying a word, just looking as if he were about to say something and his mannerisms would have you laughing.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:17 am

Mid-80s and still going in live shows time and again. The comedy equivalent of The Who.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:26 am

A routine within "a routine". Takes real craft to play incompetence so competently

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:44 am

"Welcome to my world". Manages to sell Stonehenge to the septics

As for this, everything from irony and sarcasm to surrealism and internal monologue

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:00 am

The angry lunatic surrealist in us all (well, all right, in me then) who is clearly ahead of his time as the point he makes has never been so apposite as now - the high impact insert (0:28) just makes it all the more pointed

This is equally valid in many walks of life as well, and he does it in literally seconds through tone and visual impact. Not technically stand up but might as well be.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:41 am

Some fantastic stuff there Bert.
Alexi Sayle was a true fucking genius.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:46 pm

Love Alexei Sayle, Tone, and it's a shame how little he is acknowledged for his influence - he carried the new wave almost single-handedly at one time in the early 80s and he gave important "first" jobs to the likes of Linehan and Matthews, but how far ahead of its time is Robb Wilton standing there saying "can you keep the fire going until we get there?" Fuck me, if you've ever phoned Sky or a utilities company, it's like their handbook.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:09 pm

As for being offensive with it, none are as good as, nor more offensive than, Jerry Sadowitz.

There's a good reason why it's hard to get video footage of him. The BBC refuse to release his work (The Pall Bearer's Revue) on video, though, even now "or indeed, ever". Yet also he is an accomplished close-up magician - he has that ringcraft missing from the journeymen.

Back to top Go down

Post  NotBert Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:18 pm

Sayle, Moran, Murray and Sadowitz at the end won't support an upload Laughing
NotBert
NotBert

Back to top Go down

Post  NotBert Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:22 am

In honour of Tone

NotBert
NotBert

Back to top Go down

Post  NotBert Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:36 am

"Madam speaker". And the second gag is fucking brilliant. First time I heard it, I laughed for about a week. 2:16 onwards

NotBert
NotBert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:28 am

Bobby is my ultimate hero

Ringcraft 189864

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:31 am

NotBert wrote:In honour of Tone

"Has anybody here ever had electrodes attached to their genitals"?

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  NotBert Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:44 pm

Saw Alexei Sayle live last night in Manchester. Absolutely fucking phenomenal
NotBert
NotBert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:06 pm

I envy you man.

Back to top Go down

Post  NotBert Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:49 pm

Tone, for a 67-year-old bloke with a paunch, he still does all the physical stuff. His first word was simply a screamed 'Fuck!', had dropped a 'cunt' inside five seconds and had torn a new arsehole in every Old Etonian ever to be a parliamentarian inside sixty. He was projectile vomiting, collapsed and was admitted to hospital in 2015 and he related how, as a doctor did his cognitive and memory checks on him, asked him who was the current PM.

"That cunt Cameron" he replied. Linda, his wife, shouted "Lexi!" at him. recognising that involuntary swearing can be acknowledged as a sign of pre-dementia. "It's OK Mrs Sayle" said the doctor. "After all, that is his full title"

There were a couple of gags I was laughing at this morning, twelve hours later, just out of memory. Can't remember laughing so much in one hour and a bit. Support act was decent as well, put a tidy set together (Peter Brush) which was well appreciated, then a fifteen minute break and this ball of fucking energy, wit and lunacy ripped through the room. Not a soul in there under forty and there's an entire generation missing out. Has written two books of memoir (Stalin Ate My Homework, Thatcher Stole My Trousers) wants to call the third Blair is a Cunt. "Might have a problem with WH Smith..."
NotBert
NotBert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:56 am

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Ringcraft 380407

Back to top Go down

Post  NotBert Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:52 pm

This was far, far funnier live as it had the luvvie voices and accents as well, but he told a tale of when he was doing a book reading at a launch in the Phil in Liverpool and the Q and A after.

He sought his first question and a bloke asks. He thinks he's going to say, 'oh yes, how much of an influence was Thomas Haaaaaardy on your work, only we can see the pastiche almost, mmm, yah?' and he was totally wrongfooted when this broad Scouse accent delivers 'Errrr, what's the latest you've ever stayed up, like?'. He said, utterly bemused 'can't say, really, wouldn't know. How about you?' and he replied 'Errrrr... Wednesday'
NotBert
NotBert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:58 am

lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: