Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tunes!..........................

3 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Tunes!.......................... - Page 3 Empty Re: Tunes!..........................

Post  bitofatwat Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:28 pm

Back to top Go down

Tunes!.......................... - Page 3 Empty Re: Tunes!..........................

Post  bitofatwat Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:28 am

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 04, 2010 9:20 am

Heard this playing in the kitchen on BBC 6 last night. An old favourite, a kind of anti-Stand By Your Man for the cowpunk generation. Managed to get the album re-released two years ago when I was still in the music industry. The guitarist on the left of the screen passed away from cancer a week before it came out.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 04, 2010 9:36 am

And this one's for Glimmer ... I Don't Wanna Get Thin by the Blubbery Hellbellies.

a HIGHLY related band. Just about all the Boothills are in this and yes, that's Arturo from the Lurkers. Who happens to be Boothills' singer Wendy's big bro'

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Tue May 04, 2010 9:44 am

snake plissken wrote:Heard this playing in the kitchen on BBC 6 last night. An old favourite, a kind of anti-Stand By Your Man for the cowpunk generation. Managed to get the album re-released two years ago when I was still in the music industry. The guitarist on the left of the screen passed away from cancer a week before it came out.

Thanks for the snippet snake, sad to hear about a guy probably my age stamped out by the dreaded C....I remember that era well and recall the band along with the men they couldnt hang etc Also a favourite from that time and a band that didnt get the recognition they desereved imo Any Trouble. Bit corny i know.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 04, 2010 10:01 am

And yeah, I remember Any Trouble. That was Clive Gregson wasn't it? They did a new album a couple of years ago on the reactivated Stiff but it tanked I think.

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Tue May 04, 2010 10:05 am

snake plissken wrote:And yeah, I remember Any Trouble. That was Clive Gregson wasn't it? They did a new album a couple of years ago on the reactivated Stiff but it tanked I think.

Yes, i think they were always playing second fiddle to Elvis Costello and the Attractions who got all the limelight at that time. Some good stuff on the stiff label around that time Very Happy
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 04, 2010 10:19 am

Oh, Stiff was an incredible label.

I interviewed most of those involved at the label including Dave Robinson a couple of years back. Not a man to be messed around, is our Dave, but what an A&R spotter - Costello, Nick Lowe, Ian Dury, Madness, the Pogues...

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Tue May 04, 2010 10:30 am

snake plissken wrote:Oh, Stiff was an incredible label.

I interviewed most of those involved at the label including Dave Robinson a couple of years back. Not a man to be messed around, is our Dave, but what an A&R spotter - Costello, Nick Lowe, Ian Dury, Madness, the Pogues...

Cool.

Did they do a Stiff documentary film on beeb 3 not too long ago Snake? I recall catching it 1/2 way through and would have kept, but dont think its been on since Mad Mad
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 04, 2010 11:04 am

They did indeed, BOAT.

Some people weren't all that happy about the results, but I thought it was good and well worth catching.

The problem is always co-founder Jake Riviera. He's disappeared to America and simply won't talk about stuff, though they did get a few quotes from him in the end. Dave R only does interviews for money...

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Tue May 04, 2010 11:20 am

snake plissken wrote:They did indeed, BOAT.

Some people weren't all that happy about the results, but I thought it was good and well worth catching.

The problem is always co-founder Jake Riviera. He's disappeared to America and simply won't talk about stuff, though they did get a few quotes from him in the end. Dave R only does interviews for money...

Rolling Eyes

Cheers snake must watch for it again bounce bounce circa the same era but not stiff 999

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Oh, and here's a more recent photograph of Penelope from a London gig a couple of years back.

Tunes!.......................... - Page 3 2007_0319SarahParty0063-368x335

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Tue May 04, 2010 12:28 pm

So much good stuff coming out of both sides of the Atlantic at that sanke cheers cheers

try this radio station http://www.punkrockers.com/popup/radio/channel_OldSchoolPunkRadio/

http://www.punkrockers.com/radio/
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Wed May 05, 2010 11:55 pm