Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My pork hock and bean stew has finished cooking now

2 posters

Go down

My pork hock and bean stew has finished cooking now Empty My pork hock and bean stew has finished cooking now

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:58 pm

It has been filling the house with heavenly smells in the 3 hours it's been simmering in.
Just tasted it and nearly passed out.
So so cheap and so so easy to knock up.
Food of the gods.

My pork hock and bean stew has finished cooking now 47620 My pork hock and bean stew has finished cooking now 47620 My pork hock and bean stew has finished cooking now 47620 My pork hock and bean stew has finished cooking now 47620

Back to top Go down

My pork hock and bean stew has finished cooking now Empty Re: My pork hock and bean stew has finished cooking now

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:27 pm

used to take pork/bacon hocks work for packed lunch.
always so tough though.
me teeth not up to it nowadays.

Back to top Go down

My pork hock and bean stew has finished cooking now Empty Re: My pork hock and bean stew has finished cooking now

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Not cooked right then mate....Mine falls off the bone and melts in the mouth.

My pork hock and bean stew has finished cooking now 47620

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:45 pm

obviously.
you cook your's very slowly then.
on the bone?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:02 pm

I put mine in a huge pot, cover it with water then add vinegar and lots of black pepper....bring it to the boil then skim the scum off the surface.
I then throw in chopped celery, carrots, leek, green pepper and 3 garlic cloves. I then add parsley, 3 bay leaves and a large tin of butter beans. Lid on the pot, simmer for 3 hours.
At the end, take the hock out with a fork and put it on a plate. Pull the skin off (it falls offf mostly), take bone out then chop the meat and throw back in stock for further 15 minute low simmer.
Truly the most wonderful meal and it costs about £2 for the lot.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:04 pm

Nobby Cheese wrote:I put mine in a huge pot, cover it with water then add vinegar and lots of black pepper....bring it to the boil then skim the scum off the surface.
I then throw in chopped celery, carrots, leek, green pepper and 3 garlic cloves. I then add parsley, 3 bay leaves and a large tin of butter beans. Lid on the pot, simmer for 3 hours.
At the end, take the hock out with a fork and put it on a plate. Pull the skin off (it falls offf mostly), take bone out then chop the meat and throw back in stock for further 15 minute low simmer.

beans? Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:05 pm

what i do at the weekend,
does cost a bit more,
but it feeds me and my mother for all the weekend. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:08 pm

erixter wrote:
Nobby Cheese wrote:I put mine in a huge pot, cover it with water then add vinegar and lots of black pepper....bring it to the boil then skim the scum off the surface.

beans? Neutral

Pork and beans go together like love and marriage...like a horse and carriage.
Made for each other.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:08 pm

erixter wrote:what i do at the weekend,
does cost a bit more,
but it feeds me and my mother for all the weekend. Smile

Let's hear it then.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:30 pm

Shocked Embarassed
don't know about cost.
1x savoy cabbage. ( gotta be savoy ) boiled of course.
big box of mushrooms.fried.
broccoli.boiled.
diced carrots & swede.boiled.
3 onions.fried.
ALL DONE SEPERATELY.

my hotpot:
tin of soup,or one of those casserole' mixes.
3tins of the following:
chick peas/butter beans/broad beans/kidney beans/mixed beans in tom.sauce/bean salad.(wich three depends upon my mood,but broad beans are a must.
and a generous amount of frozen peas.
at least 200gms of sultanas. (again,a must have.)

doesn't really need cooking,
just stewing in the bottom of the oven for a couple of hours.

cooked;
liver and kidney/chicken leg portions/beef or lamb burgers/faggots/minced beef roasted in a block/,,,again,depends on my mood.

when hotpot cold,
mix in carrots and swede/chopped up mushrooms,fried onions,and chopped up cooked meat.
it's quite a pot-full.

all weekend,
i'm dishing-up plates with the hotpot scooped out onto a bed of cabbage.
it does for me.

i fill a plate with mushrooms,carrots and swede,broccoli,and cabbage,
accompanied by a casserole dish of the hotpot for my mother.

usually takes about 4 hours in all.
helps keep me awake until lunchtime. Smile

fuck knows what it all costs. Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:37 pm

might just use monkfish one of these weekends. Smile

not cheap though.

like a good woman.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:41 pm

Some excelent food combinations in there mate....it's made me so hungry reading it I'm off for a bowl of my stew!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:45 pm

also,
i fetch my mother down for a couple of hours.
it gets her out of the house.
and i'm constantly throwing spoonfulls of the fresh veg. at her while it's cooking,
asking her opinion on if cooked or not.
it seems to please. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:49 pm

Nobby Cheese wrote:Some excelent food combinations in there mate....it's made me so hungry reading it I'm off for a bowl of my stew!!

be sure to wash it down with something a bit more substantial than tea or coffee eh? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Tramp Juice?
affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:53 pm

it does for me.

My pork hock and bean stew has finished cooking now 599691 drunken

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Nobby Cheese wrote:Some excelent food combinations in there mate....it's made me so hungry reading it I'm off for a bowl of my stew!!

lol! lol!
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:53 am

and so,
for a re-heated plateful.

the hotpot is a concoction of:
butter beans,
chick peas,
broad beans,
garden peas,
diced carrots and swede,
thinly sliced and chopped fried onions,
chopped fried mushrooms,
lumps of oven-cooked beefburgers,
2 good handfulls of sultanas,
a tin of bacon and lentil soup,
and pork-strips coated with some sort of maple sauce.from asda.intended foe bbq's i think,tastes alright.

slob-job or what? tongue

anyway,
i shall spread helpings of the hotpot onto a bed of boiled ( butter added to sweeten) savoy cabbage.
broccoli on the side.
with half melted lumps of mclelland cheddar strewn across it.

JOB..........

DONE........... cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:02 pm

a modest amount of hawksridge 4.2 for afters,
giving it time to settle,
i might just go cut my mother's lawn.
then it'll be more 4.2,
and back to bed i reckon. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:10 pm

and now it's raining. My pork hock and bean stew has finished cooking now 523193

bugger it.

bed. Sleep My pork hock and bean stew has finished cooking now 38011

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:54 pm

erixter wrote:a modest amount of hawksridge 4.2 for afters,
giving it time to settle,
i might just go cut my mother's lawn.
then it'll be more 4.2,
and back to bed i reckon. cheers

My pork hock and bean stew has finished cooking now 882526

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:47 pm

no problem.
it beats being awake.
i love it.

Back to top Go down

Post  NotBert Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:35 pm

My pork hock and bean stew = My poor cockhand be in Stu
NotBert
NotBert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:39 pm

NotBert wrote:My pork hock and bean stew = My poor cockhand be in Stu

behindthesofa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down