Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good morning fellow outcasts and lunatics

Go down

Good morning fellow outcasts and lunatics Empty Good morning fellow outcasts and lunatics

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:05 am

I'm off to make a cuppa and have a smoke outside.

Back to top Go down

Good morning fellow outcasts and lunatics Empty Re: Good morning fellow outcasts and lunatics

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:09 am

Morning.

and Hi. (and to DD)

Back to top Go down

Good morning fellow outcasts and lunatics Empty Re: Good morning fellow outcasts and lunatics

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:13 am

Good to see you here Glimmer

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:22 am

Morning gents.

How nice to have a forum free of those pricks.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:25 am

Diego wrote:Morning gents.

I have the feeling in a couple of weeks we all wonder why we didnt have a forum without them sooner.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:28 am

Kit wrote:

I have the feeling in a couple of weeks we all wonder why we didnt have a forum without them sooner.

If you remember, I set up an alternate forum about 4 or 5 months ago.
No cunt joined.
Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:30 am

That's mainly because I'm no cunt. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:32 am

Mad Tony wrote:
Kit wrote:

No cunt joined.
Sad

Thats true, I guess it was the perfect storm this time, lots pissed off at the same time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:40 am

Kit wrote:
Mad Tony wrote:
Kit wrote:

No cunt joined.
Sad

Thats true, I guess it was the perfect storm this time, lots pissed off at the same time.

And all down to the same handful of inadequate psychotics.
This has been the perfect solution.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:12 pm

Glimmer wrote:I'm off to make a cuppa and have a smoke outside.

Glimmer, monumental avatar. Although I've never seen anyone ask the question "where is the ref?".

Ali should be in a neutral corner or on the way there when that shot is taken.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:13 pm

I'll sleep better now you're here, DD. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:20 pm

Morning all.

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:21 pm

Morning, going out now Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:10 pm

Bert wrote:
Glimmer wrote:I'm off to make a cuppa and have a smoke outside.

Glimmer, monumental avatar. Although I've never seen anyone ask the question "where is the ref?".

Ali should be in a neutral corner or on the way there when that shot is taken.

I read up about that photo Bert. Fucked if I can remember the photographers name, but it was one of those ' one second time slots' and he got it.

The man whose head you can see between Alis legs was the recognised 'elite' boxing photographer of his day.

He was on the wrong side of the ring (obviously) and I can't remember his fucking name either. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:14 pm

Fight was out of control as well, though, TGM - Jersey Joe Walcott was reffing IIRC and he just wasn't up to the job. Liston's count ended up matching the original Long Count in Dempsey/Tunney and I'm not sure but I don't believe to this day there is an official end-time of the scrap because of it...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:15 pm

15 rounds , proper boxing

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:37 pm

Not much did make sense that night Bert. Some books say that Listons body position on the floor, and apprently shielding his eyes from the lights, meant he was ready to get up, but didn't fancy it, and what he couldn't control, he didn't like.

The most surprising thing was the 'turnstile count', there weren't even 2,500 people there. I assume because of the size of the building.

In reality, the fight woud have probably filled Wembley, either with people who wanted to witness if Ali could do it again, or the other side of the coin, hoping he'd get beaten to a pulp by Liston.

I know which side I was on Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:45 pm

I think the attendance was down to the shifting around it, licensing problems and politics - wasn't Ali injured and it was rescheduled, the licence expired and they had to put it somewhere? And no-one would touch it without massive security because in the interim six months, Malcolm X had been shot and two big black boxers, one outspoken are a pretty high profile target.

I know it was the equivalent of holding it in a church hall. I read something along those lines in one of Ferdie Pacheco's books.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:51 pm

I've read snippets of loads of boxing books, but the only one I've read right through is 'Muhammad Ali -His life and Times' by Thomas Hauser.

Got it in Waterstones in Worcester, the day Cheltenham was stormed off 2 years ago. It was either that or visit the Cathedral.

Such larks when you're bored.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:53 pm

I watched the rumble in the jungle on youtube the other day, proper boxing

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:54 pm

The best Ali book I ever read was 'The Fight' by Norman Mailer.
So good I read it in day. I've also read it twice since.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:07 pm

The book was "The Fight Doctor". Pacheco was Ali's doctor. of course - has a bit of an overly personal tint to it but a bloody good read.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down