Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 obscure facts I did learn today

Go down

2 obscure facts I did learn today Empty 2 obscure facts I did learn today

Post  Guest Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:05 pm

I went on a wiki trip trip today , it started with historical Bristol Buildings and ended with The Tudor dynasty

here are my 2 "WTF's"

Press ganging law has never been repealed , if the government wished to press gang you (male under 45) into the navy by force, the law is there to allow it.

And this one is a Embarassed , but nobody ever told me, the green and white on the Welsh flag is tudor colours from Henry V11 (dont ask about the war of the roses either).

Back to top Go down

2 obscure facts I did learn today Empty Re: 2 obscure facts I did learn today

Post  Guest Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:14 pm

Do you want another one which is almost your professional field, Kit, and when it became known it passed me by completely?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm

Bert wrote:Do you want another one which is almost your professional field, Kit, and when it became known it passed me by completely?

Yes please , can never have too many WTF's!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:25 pm

The Video Recordings Act 1984 only became enforceable law in 2010. There was therefore effectively no enforceable certification of video recordings until then and as such, I Spit On Your Grave and Driller Killer (the most famous two) were never truly banned as there was no certification mechanism with which to ban them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:27 pm

And Wigan Council gave Snow White an "A" certificate because they thought people might be scared by a drawing of a witch.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:30 pm

Bert wrote:The Video Recordings Act 1984 only became enforceable law in 2010. There was therefore effectively no enforceable certification of video recordings until then and as such, I Spit On Your Grave and Driller Killer (the most famous two) were never truly banned as there was no certification mechanism with which to ban them.

ahhh , yes that is interesting.

Incidentally The Independent recently did two articles about banned films (The Icelandic people love a ban by the way) , its available on line, and very interesting

part one

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/banned-the-most-controversial-films-1768299.html

part two

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/banned-the-most-controversial-films--part-ii-1952787.html

Part two is the best as the most obvious are in part 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:46 pm

The only commercial herd of reindeer in the world unaffected by Chernobyl fallout is in the Falklands.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down