Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Applying for British naturalization

Go down

Applying for British naturalization Empty Applying for British naturalization

Post  Guest Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:27 pm

Pros and cons please?

Thinking of switching my nationality from a Dane to a Brit. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Applying for British naturalization Empty Re: Applying for British naturalization

Post  Guest Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:06 pm

Con 1 - you have to live here for five years minimum

Back to top Go down

Applying for British naturalization Empty Re: Applying for British naturalization

Post  Guest Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:07 pm

Or you can get in another way after three minimum

Back to top Go down

Post  morning_glory Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:36 pm

does it cause you any trouble,being Danish?
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:39 am

morning_glory wrote:does it cause you any trouble,being Danish?

Well, I have permanent residency in the Uk which allows me to have the same rights and benefits as any UK citizen. However, I cant vote in general elections.

Although, I would be very sad to lose my Danish citizenship, there are two reasons why I am considering it. Firstly, my job in the future may require that I come from an English speaking country. Secondly, if i end up marrying my gf (who is Vietnamese), England would be a far better place for her to live in than Denmark, even if its just for a few years.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:40 am

Bert wrote:Con 1 - you have to live here for five years minimum

I lived in England for over 20 years from the age of 9.

Back to top Go down

Post  morning_glory Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:05 pm

can still remember how to speak Danish.
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:38 pm

shane wrote:

Does that stand, though? I'm not sure whether you'd be applying regarding the most recent 5 years and so forth. And would you have to renounce your Danish nationality?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:31 pm

shane wrote:

Well, I have permanent residency in the Uk which allows me to have the same rights and benefits as any UK citizen. However, I cant vote in general elections.

Although, I would be very sad to lose my Danish citizenship, there are two reasons why I am considering it. Firstly, my job in the future may require that I come from an English speaking country. Secondly, if i end up marrying my gf (who is Vietnamese), England would be a far better place for her to live in than Denmark, even if its just for a few years.

Thinly veiled I'm engaged post imo Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:16 am

Pretty certain that if you were to come to the UK to live then your wife would be able to come as well on the grounds that she would be the spouse of an EU national. Not that far removed from a Brit marrying someone from outside the EU; qualifications need meeting but achievable.

Oddly I know someone in a similar situation regarding the spouse situation and separately know someone who has both Danish/British nationality. You intrigued me that much, Shane, that I looked up Danish Nationality law Laughing . I love where the internet takes me... And yes, for those reading (Shane will already know this) a Dane will lose their Danish nationality if they take on another nationality by choice.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:57 am

morning_glory wrote:can still remember how to speak Danish.

Yes, but I'm a bit rusty and my vocab only goes as far as a 9 year old.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:00 am

Bert wrote:
shane wrote:

Does that stand, though? I'm not sure whether you'd be applying regarding the most recent 5 years and so forth. And would you have to renounce your Danish nationality?

My dad is helping me with finding that out. I'm hoping that coming to vietnam wont make a difference.

But, I know for certain that I will have to renounce my nationality. Denmark, for whatever reason, does not allow dual nationality.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:05 am

chips wrote:
shane wrote:

Almost, haha. I met her parents at the weekend for the first time and thats a big deal in these parts.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:09 am

Bert wrote:Pretty certain that if you were to come to the UK to live then your wife would be able to come as well on the grounds that she would be the spouse of an EU national. Not that far removed from a Brit marrying someone from outside the EU; qualifications need meeting but achievable.

Hmmm, thats interesting. I will look further into that. thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:15 pm

shane wrote:
chips wrote:

Almost, haha. I met her parents at the weekend for the first time and thats a big deal in these parts.

Hope it goes well for you Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  morning_glory Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:07 pm

skoll Very Happy
morning_glory
morning_glory

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:04 am

Thanks guys, haha Smile.

Actually, just found out today that I am not eligible to apply for british citizenship due to my 2 year absence. I had hoped that having lived in england for so long, being educated since primary, paying taxes, etc would have made a difference but apparently not. Sad.

A bit gutted really, but thats the law and i cant do anything about it. I will have to rethink my plans now and work something out.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:44 pm

shane wrote: Denmark, for whatever reason, does not allow dual nationality.

It does, but the circumstances are odd - if you have to have your nationality at birth (as I read it), you can hold another as a result. I think that'd work (as it does for the person I know) if you were born in another country but your parents are Danes. British by birth, Danish through parents.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:45 pm

shane wrote:Thanks guys, haha Smile.

Actually, just found out today that I am not eligible to apply for british citizenship due to my 2 year absence. I had hoped that having lived in england for so long, being educated since primary, paying taxes, etc would have made a difference but apparently not. Sad.

A bit gutted really, but thats the law and i cant do anything about it. I will have to rethink my plans now and work something out.

You'd still be allowed back, Shane - free movement in the EU and all that. You'd have to build up your time again, that's all.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:27 pm

Bert wrote:
shane wrote:Thanks guys, haha Smile.

You'd still be allowed back, Shane - free movement in the EU and all that. You'd have to build up your time again, that's all.

Yeah, I know i can come back and live any time i want. Well, i hope so anyway cause most of my family there Smile.

Im just gutted because I was hoping to bring my Girlfriend over for a few years and for my family to get to know her. But, it's not as simple as I once thought.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down