Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is your cat making you sick?

Go down

Is your cat making you sick? Empty Is your cat making you sick?

Post  bitofatwat Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:05 am

Cats are the most popular pets in Britain, with 10 million households hosting at least one feline.

While they provide companionship and are generally only a threat to rodents and sofa cushions, they can also transmit a whole host of diseases to humans, some quite unpleasant.

We've complied a handy guide for cat lovers, so you know what steps to take to keep your pet and your family safe.
Toxoplasmosis

Toxoplasmosis is caused by a parasite called Toxoplasma gondii, one of the world's most common parasites. It can be found in most birds and warm blooded mammals.

Due to their predatory nature, cats can become infected by eating infected birds, rodents or contaminated faeces from another cat. Once infected, a cat then sheds the parasite in its faeces for up to two weeks. The parasite can then survive in the environment for many months.

People can become infected by coming into contact with contaminated cat faeces, soil, sand or anywhere the cat has used as a toilet. Toxoplasmosis can’t be transmitted between people.

Most people (80%) infected with the parasite don’t experience symptoms. But babies, young children, pregnant women and people with weakened immune systems are more at risk from serious disease.

Symptoms usually include body aches, fever, lethargy or feeling tired, nausea and sore throat.

Pregnant women are particularly at risk from Toxoplasmosis as the parasite can be transmitted to the foetus through the placenta, without the mother experiencing any symptoms. This can result in miscarriage, stillbirth or defects in the newborn baby.
Cat scratch disease

Also known as bartonellosis, cat scratch disease can occur when someone is bitten or scratched by a cat. Although anyone can be infected, the disease is most often seen in children and young adults. Infections tend to peak in the autumn and winter months.

The most common symptom of cat scratch disease include swollen lymph nodes, especially around the neck, head and arms. This can continue for several months. Others include fever, sore muscles and joints and fatigue.

In healthy people the illness usually clears up by itself. More severe disease can occur in people who are immunosuppressed.

All cat scratches should be washed immediately with soap and warm water.
Ringworm

Despite its name, ringworm is a type of fungal infection of the skin which can be transmitted from cats and other animals to people.

People pick up ringworm by coming into contact with an animal’s infected skin or fur. The infected cat may also contaminate its environment with fungal spores from its skin, which can survive and spread further infections for several months.

In people, ringworm appears as a red itchy ring on any part of the skin, including the scalp. The infection will continue to progress until treated and can be passed from person-to-person.

Once infected, the cat should be confined to a single room until cured. Meanwhile all other rooms in the home should be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected.
Campylobacter and Salmonella

Campylobacter and Salmonella bacteria are behind most cases of food poisoning in the UK caused by eating partially cooked or undercooked meat. (Cases usually peak during the barbecue season!)

Unfortunately cats can also carry and excrete these bacteria in their faeces. Cats become infected by eating wild birds and rodents, and we become infected because of poor hygiene.

Symptoms in humans are typically those seen with food poisoning – diarrhoea, temperature and stomach pain.

Young children are more at risk of complications from these bacteria as they are more likely to become dehydrated when infected.
Prevention

Good hygiene and some simple precautions are all that’s needed to reduce your risk of catching an infection from your cat:

* Always wash your hands with soap and running water before eating and after handling your cat
* Don’t let your cat lick your face, food or plate
* Wash cat bowls and dishes separately from the rest of the family’s
* Feed them good quality processed food, not raw meat
* Keep them off kitchen surfaces
* If you have a sandbox in the garden, keep it covered when not in use
* Litter trays should be kept away from the kitchen and eating areas
* Each month, wipe down the litter tray, fill with boiling water and let stand for five minutes to kill off any Toxoplasma
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Is your cat making you sick? Empty Re: Is your cat making you sick?

Post  Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:30 am

fuck that's a lot o'type Shocked Embarassed

suffice to say,
we haven't got a cat. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:35 am

erixter wrote:fuck that's a lot o'type Shocked Embarassed

suffice to say,
we haven't got a cat. Smile

We have got a few strays about on the land adjacent were bev as her horses. The only downside is that they poop Neutral
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:43 am

I fucking hate the things

end of thread

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:58 am

Not quite end of thread....I fucking loathe cats but I loathe dogs even more.
I cannot believe those cunts that have them on their bed and let them lick their faces after they've licked their bollocks and arse.
End of thread.

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Nobby Cheese wrote:Not quite end of thread....I fucking loathe cats but I loathe dogs even more.
I cannot believe those cunts that have them on their bed and let them lick their faces after they've licked their bollocks and arse.
End of thread.

Once read a story about a bloke who covered his cock in ice cream and was letting the dog lick it off on a park bench No Were are all disgusting animals Tony
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:31 pm

I think the blue rinsed old bags you see with tiny dogs smear pedigree chum on their cunts every night for their mutts to lick off.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:34 pm

Nobby Cheese wrote:I think the blue rinsed old bags you see with tiny dogs smear pedigree chum on their cunts every night for their mutts to lick off.

Shocked lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:48 pm

Nobby Cheese wrote:I think the blue rinsed old bags you see with tiny dogs smear pedigree chum on their cunts every night for their mutts to lick off.

Is your cat making you sick? 523193
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down