Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'll put this in my itinerary for my next London visit

Go down

I'll put this in my itinerary for my next London visit  Empty I'll put this in my itinerary for my next London visit

Post  bitofatwat Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:07 am

With its reputation for glitzy musicals and crammed weekend shopping, the bustling tourist magnet that is Covent Garden might seem an unlikely location for the latest official place of pilgrimage for beer purists.

Yet in a first for London, a cosy bolthole in Chandos Place, near Trafalgar Square, has been named Britain's pub of the year.by the Campaign for Real Ale (Camra).

It was standing room only on last night at what Camra described as a "true gem" where a cross-section of local workers, including musicians from nearby theatres, mingled in a narrow bar area adorned with mirrors and theatrical memorabilia.

Undisturbed by either television or music, staff handed patrons samples from a range of eight real ales and imparted taste advice with all the authority of a master sommelier.

"They look after their regulars very well – that's the secret," said Martin Knowles, a tubist from the English National Opera, sipping a pint of Darkstar Hophead with colleagues under the whir of a fan.

Upstairs, a handful of drinkers relaxed in a small carpeted lounge area as the owner, Bridget Walsh, praised "good staff" for The Harp's 17-year-old reputation.

"They are the backbone, but we also pride ourselves on the range and quality of our real ale," said Walsh, a real ale pioneer, who fretted slightly about the potential upsurge of interest in her pub, which outshone rivals from some of the more traditional real ale heartlands.

Runners-up in the national pub of the year competition were Taps in Lytham St Annes, Lancashire, the Beacon Hotel in Sedgley, West Midlands, and the Salutation Inn in Ham, Gloucestershire.

Julian Hough, Camra's pubs director, said the most impressive aspect of the Harp was its appeal as a true local, "even though situated in the tourist heart of the capital".

He added: "What makes a great pub is the ability for it to welcome both regulars and first time customers alike and this is something it does to perfection."

Situated close to Charing Cross station, the pub has been no stranger to awards in the past and has long been regarded with fondness by ale connoisseurs seeking a refuge to quench their thirst in the heart of the city.

Beer choices generally include a mild or porter, Dark Star and London micro-brewery seasonal while real ciders, perries and malt whiskies also feature strongly.

Completing a package that won over the notoriously choosy real ale drinking fraternity are award-winning real sausages in baps.

Kimberly Martin, Camra's London regional director, said: "I never ceased to be impressed or surprised by the continuing success of a pub staffed by individuals so passionate about the real ale industry. The Harp is a perfect example of how the London cask beer scene is reaching out to new drinkers.

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/food-drink/pub-year-award-goes-london-local-time-article-huib.html

Anyone been in?
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

I'll put this in my itinerary for my next London visit  Empty Re: I'll put this in my itinerary for my next London visit

Post  Guest Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:13 am

Not me but it sounds excellent.

Back to top Go down

I'll put this in my itinerary for my next London visit  Empty Re: I'll put this in my itinerary for my next London visit

Post  Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:01 am

"Cosy" with "mirrors and theatrical memorabilia"?

You two boys be sure to remember your handbags if you go... Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  bitofatwat Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:24 am

Bert wrote:"Cosy" with "mirrors and theatrical memorabilia"?

Fancy a threesome bert ? Razz Razz
bitofatwat
bitofatwat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:43 am

bitofatwat wrote:
Bert wrote:"Cosy" with "mirrors and theatrical memorabilia"?

Fancy a threesome bert ? Razz Razz

affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:46 am

BOAT, reading the review you know full well that I'd buy a handbag especially

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down